Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving your website so that search engines rank your site higher in their results. This can lead to more traffic, more conversions and increased sales.
The problem is that it’s not as easy as it sounds. There are a lot of tactics to try out, but not all of them will work for your business. That’s why we created SiteBuilder SEO Tools. We want to help you find the right tactics so you can spend less time trying things out and more time growing your business.
sitebuilder seo tools
The Wix website builder makes it easy to optimize your site for search engines, even if you’re new to the world of SEO. This builder provides a complete set of tools built directly into the Wix dashboard. You can use these tools to optimize every part of your on-page SEO, from meta and canonical tags to URL slugs:
- Full support for image alt attributes
- An SEO Wiz tool that provides actionable advice
- Automatic image optimization
- Auto-generated SEO-friendly meta tags for all of your site’s pages
- A flexible URL redirect manager
- Built-in XML sitemap that you can submit to search engines
Wix promises to help you fine-tune your SEO with minimal effort, thanks to its various time-saving features. This includes instant Google indexing, and patterned meta tags that you can deploy across multiple pages.
Wix has a limited free plan with Wix branding. However, you’ll want at least the Site Booster app for SEO, which is only available on the $14 per month Unlimited plan and up. View full pricing here.
👉 Check out our complete guide to making a website with Wix.Get started with Wix
Squarespace’s dashboard provides more fine-grained control over your site’s SEO. Although the platform offers the occasional prompt along the way, this website builder is better suited to those who are familiar with SEO fundamentals:
You can even implement more advanced SEO techniques by injecting your own code. While this does put some advanced techniques at your fingertips, it also requires a certain degree of technical knowledge.
- User-friendly configuration boxes where you can specify all of the key SEO elements, including meta titles and descriptions
- Integration with over 30 social media platforms
- SSL certificates
- Support for Google’s Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Built-in XML sitemaps
If you’re comfortable with writing code and implementing more complex SEO techniques, Squarespace can be a powerful tool. However, beginners may struggle to master some of its more sophisticated features.
Subscriptions range from $14.00 to $49 per month. A 14-day free trial is also available.
👉 Check out our complete guide to making a website with Squarespace.Get started with Squarespace
Weebly makes search engine success simple, by building all of its essential SEO features directly into the page editor. This includes setting the image alt text, meta titles, and descriptions:
- A permalink editor to control your site’s URL slugs
- An SEO Settings menu for every page and post
- An App Center with almost 50 SEO-focused plugins (including the RabbitSEO app, which enables you to perform SEO espionage on your competitors)
- Built-in XML sitemap
- Helpful checklists and guides
Web analytics are important for understanding your site’s traffic. Armed with this information, you can continuously refine your SEO strategy. Google Search Console and Google Analytics are two of the most popular traffic analysis tools. With Weebly, integrating with these important solutions is as simple as entering your tracking ID.
Costs range from $6 to $26 when billed annually. A free plan is also available. However, it’s extremely limiting. For example, you won’t be able to connect a custom domain.Get started with Weebly
4. DreamHost WP Website Builder
DreamHost offers a drag-and-drop website builder to all its WordPress customers. This tool will guide you through the process of setting up a WordPress website, making it a great choice if you want to build a site using WordPress.
When it comes to SEO, WP Website Builder provides on-page tips in real-time. The feature enables you to optimize your content as you’re writing it. DreamHost plans also come with many performance-boosting tools. Since Google has confirmed that it uses speed as a ranking factor, these features can further enhance your SEO.
- Free SSL certificate
- Mobile optimization
- Built-in caching
- Jetpack Professional bundled with some plans
You can also add the DreamHost SEO Toolkit to your hosting plan for $4.99 per month. This comes with 100 automated checks and verifications. It also provides a personalized SEO plan and checklist:
Subscriptions start at $2.59 to $16.95 per month. DreamHost also offers a money-back guarantee (97 days for shared hosting and 30 days for DreamPress plans).Get started with Dreamhost WP Website Builder
As one of the best-known website builders in the world, WordPress.com makes it easy to create and publish a professional-looking and high-performing site. When writing your posts, you can use the Jetpack plugin to set up your own custom SEO titles, descriptions, categories, and tags:
- Auto-generated XML sitemaps
- A Publicize feature to help share your content on social media
- Customizable templates for SEO titles and meta descriptions
- Ability to optimize your permalink structure (available on WordPress.com’s Business and eCommerce plans only)
- Option to install your own WordPress SEO plugin
You can also optimize your images for search engines by providing descriptive image alt text. While some website builders may require you to provide your own SSL certificate, it’s worth noting that WordPress.com generates this important security certificate automatically.
While WordPress.com does offer free plans, you’ll need the paid Business or eCommerce plans to access the platform’s SEO tools. These plans start at $30 per month.
⚠️ Note – WordPress.com is not the same as self-hosted WordPress – you can learn about the differences here.Get started with WordPress.com
Choosing the best website builder for SEO
The right website builder can improve your search engine rankings. However, with so many options to choose from, finding the one for you can feel overwhelming.Which is the best #website builder for your #SEO efforts? 5 top options 📈CLICK TO TWEET
To help ensure that your builder is helping rather than hurting your SEO, we’d suggest checking out these five popular solutions:
|CUSTOMIZABLE META TITLES||IMAGE ALT ATTRIBUTES||SEO PROMPTS||KEYWORD SUPPORT||STARTING PRICE|
|Weebly||✅||✅||✅||✅||$6/mo (billed annually)|
|DreamHost WP Website Builder||✅||✅||✅||❌||$2.59/mo|
|WordPress.com||✅ (via Jetpack)||✅||✅||❌||$4/mo|
If you’re eager to learn the fundamentals of effective SEO, platforms such as Wix, Weebly, and WordPress.com emphasize ease of use. If you opt for WordPress.com in particular, you always have the option to migrate your content to WordPress.org. This will unlock some more advanced SEO options, including dedicated plugins such as Yoast SEO.
For more experienced users, Squarespace gives you greater control over your SEO. However, it helps if you already have some degree of technical knowledge – or you’re eager to learn!
website builder with search function
Giving the people who visit your website the ability to easily find the information that they are looking for is a key ingredient in creating a user-friendly website. Website navigation that is easy to use and understand is essential to user-friendliness, but sometimes website visitors need more than intuitive navigation to find the content that they are seeking. This is where a website search feature can come in handy.
Searching Within Content Management Systems
You have a couple of options for putting up a search engine on your site, including using a CMS — if your site is built on a Content Management System — to power this feature. Since many CMS platforms use a database to store page content, these platforms often come with a search utility to query that database. For example, one preferred CMS is ExpressionEngine. This software has an easy-to-deploy utility to include site search on web pages built within that system. Likewise, the popular WordPress CMS includes search widgets that surface information contained in the site’s pages, posts, and metadata.
Local CGI Scripts
Remotely Hosted Search CGIs
A remotely hosted search CGI is usually the easiest method to add search to your site. You sign up with a search service and they catalog your site for you. Then you add the search criteria to your pages and your customers can search your site using this tool.
The drawback to this method is that you are limited to the features that the search company provides with their particular product. Also, only pages that are live on the internet are cataloged (intranet and extranet sites cannot be cataloged). Finally, your site is only cataloged periodically, so you don’t have any guarantee that your newest pages will be added to the search database immediately. That last point can be a deal breaker if you want your search feature to be up-to-date at all times.
The following sites offer free search capabilities for your website:
- Google Custom Search Engine: The Google custom search engine allows you to search not only your own site but also create collections to search within. This makes the search more interesting for your readers because you can specify multiple sites to include in the search results. You can also invite your community to contribute sites to the search engine.
- FusionBot: This service offers multiple levels of search. At the free level, you get 250 pages indexed, one automatic index per month, one manual index per month, basic reporting, a sitemap, and more. It even supports searching across SSL domains.
- FreeFind: It is simple to sign up for this free service. It has additional features of a sitemap, and “what’s new” pages that are automatically generated along with your search field. You control how often they spider your site, so you can be sure that new pages are added to the index. It also allows you to add additional sites to the spider to be included in the search.
- siteLevel Internal Site Search: With this free service, you add the functionality of having pages that are not included in the database. Thus if you want to have a certain section private, and not searchable, you would simply list that as an excluded area, and those pages would not be searchable. The free service will index 1000 pages with one re-index per week.
All-in-One Internal Site Search Script: This search script uses external search engines like Google, MSN, and Yahoo! to search your site. Pretty slick.
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.