Video transitions are the visual effects you see when one scene fades into another in a video. Transitions are commonly used to move between shots in a film, but they’re also a great way to keep your viewers engaged with text-based videos. If you’re looking for some easy ways to add some intrigue and pizzazz to your next video, check out these five apps.
Table of Contents
Best Apps For Video Transitions
The glitch effect is the perfect transition to add between two contrasting scenes. This effect adds brief, zig-zag diagonal lines across the screen, and when the lines clear, the new scene appears.
You can customize the glitch effect to include various colors and shapes. For example, we like applying a multicolor glitch effect that resembles TV static between two clips in completely different settings. This transition communicates to the viewer that the scene has changed, just as if they had switched channels on their TV.
Another eye-catching way to utilize the glitch effect is to apply it between scenes that feature two different actors. The effect will highlight that there is a new person in the scene, almost as if the original actor glitched out of the footage and the new actor replaced them.
Distortion effects twist or warp the scene before smoothly untwisting into the subsequent clip. PowerDirector offers several distortion effects to suit your specific footage or film genre.
One of our favorite distortion effects adds a whirlpool-like, trippy transition between two scenes. This effect is ideal for highlighting the contrast between scenes in two opposite settings, such as inside and outside or beach and mountains. When viewers see this effect, they will understand right away that the video is shifting to a completely different scene.
Another impressive distortion effect swipes away the first clip from the side of the screen, blurring it and fading it into the next scene. This quick transition is the perfect effect to add between two scenes that take place in the same location but at different times, as it mimics the passing of time within the footage.
Adding transitions between clips is a fun way to bring color and excitement to your footage. The Shapes transition pack features several different geometric transition patterns in a wide range of color palettes, allowing you to give your video an entertaining, lively appeal.
Here are a few of our favorite shape transitions:
- Vertical, multi-colored lines that swirl in and out of the frame
- Stars that emerge from the center of the clip
- Thick lines that slide from the left to the right and cover the entire frame before fading away
- Overlapping triangles that disperse to the sides of the frame
- Hexagons that swirl from the center of the clips to the edges
You can play around with each of these effects to find the perfect shapes, movement, and color palette for your video.
Sometimes, the best transition effect for your scene is one that doesn’t detract from the actors and setting in the footage. The seamless effect is the perfect transition to create a subtle, smooth movement between two contrasting scenes.
PowerDirector offers several seamless effects. One of our favorites subtly rotates the entire frame clockwise or counter-clockwise, positioning the new scene at the end of the rotation.
Another popular seamless effect slides the scene from right to left, almost as if you were swiping to a different clip using your finger. This transition is ideal for highlighting a change in setting or the passing of time.
Seamless transitions are especially suitable for clips that feature movement. Applying a seamless transition that flows with the action in the scene creates a clean, appealing finished product without drawing too much attention to the transition.
Split transitions slice the scene into several pieces using diagonal, horizontal, or vertical cuts, piecing the cuts back together to create the next clip. You can customize these transitions to include one cut, several cuts, or a mixture between diagonal, vertical, and horizontal slices.
These transitions are slightly more noticeable than the seamless transitions, yet they still provide a subtle shift between scenes that doesn’t draw too much attention away from the video’s focus. As there are options to slightly alter each split, you can also keep your transitions consistent while keeping things interesting.
best free video editing app for android 2021
There are an ever growing number of Android video editors available on the Play Store today. And unless you know exactly what your requirements are, it can become overwhelmint to zero in and figure out which is the best video editing app for Android.
So in this article, we will give you a low down of the top 10 best video editing apps for android – both free and paid, to help you make a more informed choice and kickstart your video editing journey.
Here are the ones we’ll be covering:
5. Viva Video
7. Video Show
10. Power Director
The Filmr app is a super easy-to-use video editing app for Android as well as iOS-based phones. Perfect for both beginners as well as advanced video creators- it has a simple, fast and intuitive interface. You can add transitions, effects, filters and more to transform a basic video to something that is uber cool. If you’re looking for speed, agility and a premium look for your videos, Filmr is the place for you.
Review: Filmr has gained an overall rating of 4.4/5 based on reviews from 8,126 users and has 1 million and growing downloads on Playstore.
Price: It has a free version that allows you to create videos with an InVideo watermark. The paid plans start from $15/month
– No limit on the number of images/videos you can import
– Smooth and unique transitions between videos
– Multiple fonts to make your text stand out
– Switch video format with ease: horizontal (16:9 and 4:5), vertical (4:3), stories (9:16), and square (1:1)
– 20 million+ royalty free music library
– Exclusive filters and effects to transform videos
– The best thing about Filmr is that it has zero ads!
– It has a vertical editing timeline which makes video editing super convenient, unlike other apps
– Can reorder videos, photos and audio clips with a simple drag-and-drop
– Lets you search for any song with a simple search or add music from your existing files
– Reverse, Rotate and Flip videos with one tap
– Get rid of the watermark easily by just watching an ad or going PRO
– Save to gallery or export directly to any social media app
– Set the duration of the transitions down to specific seconds
– Directly shoot videos via the app and edit
– Customise the duration of text on video on the text bar
– There is no undo option in its Android version
– Limited number of filters
– Cannot record a voice-over directly on the app
– Cannot choose the video resolution before saving
– It does not support multiple languages
Note: The Filmr iOS app has an extensive library of filters, effects, transitions, video-on-video and a lot more to choose from. If you happen to have an iPhone or an iPad, you can try it out.
Quik is one of the best free video editing apps for Android, brought to you by GoPro. With the Quik app, you can create awesome videos in just a few taps.
Automatically add transitions and effects and apply beat-synced themes to create stunning and shareable edits. It does most of the editing automatically; however, Quik also lets you customize fine details.
Review: Quik has gained an overall rating of 4.4/5 based on the reviews from 476,637 usersQuick is a free video editing app for Android phones.
Price: Quik is a free video editing app for Android phones.
– Add up to 75 photos and video clips from your gallery, cloud storage, or GoPro Plus
– Compatible with motion photos
– Unlimited back-up at 100% quality
– GPS Stickers to showcase GoPro video’s speed
– AI-powered face, movement, and sound detection for the perfect frame. Open to manual corrections
– 23+ themes for any occasion
– Record, trim or rotate videos, add text overlays, change video speed
– Videos in various dimensions – square, portrait, or cinema
– 100+ free songs for background or add your own
– HD 1080p export
– QuikStories – works with the GoPro App and compiles excellent videos with media shot within the last 72 hours.
– The PRO version automatically backs up your GoPro footage
– Can handle videos taken from any camera or device
– Handles 4k video, which is a great win over other apps
– Does not leave a watermark
– Great for basic editing
– Quik’s mural feature lets you create your best shots as separate events
– Auto edits music to match the video beat
– Keeps your project on cloud storage only for a limited time so you cannot go back and edit it whenever you want to
– The absence of the undo option makes it difficult to go back to the previous edit
– Unsatisfactory customer support. Issues and bugs stay unresolved even after several reports by users.
– The automatic edits makes it low on customization
A pretty powerful video editor application, Filmora go is also one of the best free video editing app for Android phones which will not stamp a watermark or place a time limit on your clip. It helps you create decent videos with a wide variety of effects and presets. You can easily share your videos with your friends on Youtube, Instagram, Facebook, WhatsApp right from the platform.
Review: FilmoraGo has gained an overall rating of 4.6/5 based on the reviews from 626,723 users.
Price: Filters and effects can be bought via in-app purchases ranging from $0.99 – $34.99 per item
– Import from social networking sites like Instagram and Facebook
– Extensive library of licensed songs
– Lip sync your videos
– Make videos in various dimensions – square, cinema
– Reverse, trim or rotate videos, add text overlays, play with speed
– Multiple Fast or Slow motions in the same video
– Change motion and timeline of title, can add multiple titles
– Supports many international languages like German, Italian, Turkish, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, French, Spanish, etc
– Easy to use and loaded with free features
– Professionally done, high-quality videos
– Access to high-quality preset templates in the PRO version
– The abundance of presets, filters and effects are not backed by strong how-to tutorials
– The audio always fades out towards the end of the video
– The horizontal timeline makes video editing cumbersome
KineMaster is a full-featured video editor for Android. It has powerful tools that are easy to use. It has over 2500 downloadable transitions, effects, videos, images and transitions. The addition of EQ presets, ducking and volume envelope tools makes audios on KineMaster super immersive and powerful. The premium subscription also features unlimited exports in resolutions up to 4K.
Review: KineMaster has gained an overall rating of 4.4/5 based on the reviews from 4,511,621 users.
|Yearly Charge after seven-day free trial
– In-built graphics, fonts, stickers, transitions, clips, and more to beautify your video
– Multiple layers of video, stickers, images, text, etc
– It includes a keyframe animation tool to add motion to layers
– Voice overs, voice changers, sound effects, background music
– Create beautiful effects with a blending mode
– Share on YouTube, Facebook, Dropbox, etc
– Includes green screen, audio adding, extracting, volume control, chroma key and more
– Can add multiple audio and video layers which is great for advanced creators
– Can download multiples assets like stickers, images, backgrounds, etc. from its asset store
– Consistently updated Youtube channel for how-to tutorials
– Hard to crop videos and audios with a tightly fitted timeline
– Takes time getting used to
– The subscription doesn’t reflect across devices at times
– The app only operates in horizontal mode which might feel a little uneasy
– Extremely advanced for beginners
– Leaves a watermark in the free version
VivaVideo is a free video editing app for Android that comes with all the basic functions you can think of, as well as several advanced features that make it a top contender.
VivaVideo is one of the most comprehensive video editing apps, with video editing features like making videos from pictures with song, editing video with transitions, adding video to video, combining video clips, adding music to video, and much more. It features hundreds of Special Effects/ Stickers/ Filters/ Animated clips to transform your videos. You can directly share the video to your social media handles from within the app.
Review: VivaVideo has gained an overall rating of 4.6/5 based on the reviews from 12,970,605 users.
|Yearly VIP Membership
– Professional music video maker with songs and effects
– Make videos from pictures and songs easily
– Several video editing effects: blur background, slow down videos, speed up videos, etc
– Combine several video clips to make one video
– Can cut, edit, merge, paste while editing a video
– Export videos at your desired resolution like 720p, 1080p, 4K, etc
– It has an inbuilt slow-motion video creator
– It works exceptionally well for short clips for social media
– Super easy to use, even for an amateur
– Cut clips and place them anywhere you want
– Every new update creates issues in the app functioning
– Tends to delete text or image, or place it anywhere on the video
– Multiple issues while adding music to video
– Hard to add and manage more than one audio/video file
– The high number of ads in the free version makes it difficult to focus
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.