The HTML5 web design software is a powerful tool that can help you create and publish your website in no time. It comes with a number of pre-built templates that are easy to customize, as well as many features that will impress your visitors. Many companies use this software because it is flexible and easy to use. It allows you to build an entire website using a drag and drop interface, which makes it simple for people who do not know much about HTML code. As if that wasn’t enough, this software also allows you to add videos and images into your site, as well as links to other sites.
Table of Contents
Html5 Web Design Software
WordPress powers 40% of websites around the world, and no wonder. This web builder offers thousands of pre-made themes and a high level of customization (thanks to its functionality and 50,000+ plugins), making it a perfect choice when building a website to fit your brand. WordPress also has an excellent content management system (CMS). It’s easy and straightforward to publish content in the blink of an eye. And word has it that it’s the best CMS for SEO.
WordPress offers a free plan. Paid plans start at $4/month.
Webflow is an all-in-one responsive web design tool that folds a CMS, managed web hosting, and free SSL certificate all in one no-code platform. Build interactions and animations into your website, drag-and-drop unstyled HTML elements. Or make use of pre-built elements like sliders, tabs, and background videos. The tool features a master component library of core layouts, components, and patterns. Plus, Webflow gives you the ability to prototype and export code to hand off to developers if you don’t want to launch a site on its native subdomain.
Webflow starts free, with plans going up from $12/month on an annual basis.
Wix is a user-friendly web design software for complete beginners. Don’t know where to start? Choose from over 800 templates or answer a few questions from Wix Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI). ADI will automatically build a website based on your responses. To customize it, drag and drop elements on the screen and edit as you see fit.
Wix offers a free plan. Paid plans start at $4.50/month.
Additional options of a drag-and-drop website builder include Boxmode and Webwave.
Say hello to Statamic, the CMS of the future. Built by developers for developers, this laravel-based and open-sourced CMS handles everything without any plugins. And by everything, we mean everything. Custom fields, navigation builder, search, you name it. Compared to other CMS, it’s easy to customize Statamic from the frontend. Its flat-file mode reduces complexity and makes maintenance a piece of cake. This is one cool web builder.
It’s free to use Statamic. Paid plans start at $259/site with an additional $59 for updates (free for the first year).
Source: Ali Abdaal
Ghost is a simple professional publishing platform. In addition to the blogging tool’s standard features, Ghost also offers built-in memberships and email newsletters. Other great features include the minimalistic and powerful editor, site speed, and user-friendly and lightweight CMS. If you want to set up a membership website with zero hassle, look no further!
Ghost offers a 14-day free trial, with plans going up from $29/month when billed annually.
Best web editors
6. Adobe Dreamweaver
Dreamweaver is a simplified coding engine allowing a real-time preview of your content as you made edits to the code. Start your next responsive website project from a template or build from scratch. With Git support and code hints, you can custom-build all kinds of HTML assets like emails, eCommerce sites, portfolios, blogs, and more.
Start with a 30-day free trial. Plans start at $20.99/month or $52.99/month for the entire Adobe Creative Cloud when billed annually. (Prices vary for students, teachers, and businesses.)
RapidWeaver is a native web design software exclusively on and for Mac. Choose from 50 built-in or over 100 community-built themes, and instantly see how your designs will look on various Apple devices. The software integrates with Unsplash and has a big focus on giving you SEO-friendly code.
RapidWeaver has a free trial. Download it for $84.99.
openElement is a free WYSIWYG web editor with a whole host of editing features that support many different page elements such as text, images, tables, lines. Some web elements are even drag-and-drop. Users praise it for being lightweight and SEO-friendly.
openElement is free.
Atom is free.
10. CoffeeCup HTML Editor
CoffeeCup HTML Editor was built for WYSIWYG precision and excellence. Work from scratch in HTML, CSS, and PHP, or choose from an existing theme. Use the “Open from Web” option to take any website as a starting point for your new design. With a components library, code validation tool, and live preview, you’ll have your next web design up and running quickly.
Try CoffeeCup for free or buy it for $29.
11. Sublime Text
Sublime Text is a cross-platform source code editor compatible with Mac, Windows, and Linux.. It supports many programming and markup languages natively.
You can download and try Sublime Text out for free. The personal license costs a one-off purchase of $80. And the business license starts from $65 per year for up to 10 seats and get cheaper as you get more seats.
. . .
To save your time, we create a cheat sheet with all the tools and resources mentioned in this post. Download it to browse everything at a glance and pick what you need quickly.
WEB DESIGN TOOLS CHEAT SHEET
Best web design software for ecommerce
Squarespace is a feature-packed website builder with 100+ flexible designer website templates. It offers customer account functionality for online stores as well as inventory management, discount codes, and abandoned card recovery. This site builder is gorgeous, so if you’re looking for flawless layouts and bleeding-edge artistic vibes, Squarespace may be the right ecommerce site option for you.
Squarespace starts with a 14-day free trial and moves up from $12/month yearly from there.
Shopify is quickly becoming the go-to digital storefront platform. Every Shopify store comes with an SSL certificate, and you can buy domain names directly from them. The team is continually revising the shopping cart experience. That way, they can help reduce cart abandonment and give store owners and drop shippers the flexibility they need to dynamically determine shipping rates, taxes, and more. Shopify also has a suite of marketing tools and mature third-party integration ecosystem to help you sell more.
After a free 14-day trial, Shopify starts at $29/month. There’s also Shopify Lite for $9 per month for pre-existing websites.
14. BigCommerce Essentials
BigCommerce is an enterprise ecommerce solution. For smaller businesses, there’s BigCommerce Essentials, which offers responsive designs, no-code editor, advanced product search, and CRO tools – including an abandoned cart saver feature. Plus, choose from a vast variety of payment gateways.
BigCommerce Essentials starts with a 15-day free trial and goes up from $29.95/month.
With over 40M sites, Weebly is Square’s powerful drag-and-drop website builder that’s doubled down on eCommerce features in recent years. Choose from template designs and get all the brand assets you need to launch your site quickly. Weebly also has abandoned cart and welcome email features, dynamic shipping pricing, and inventory tracking. It’s a website builder at heart, so you’ll have access to more themes and a lot of easy, user-friendly design functionality for putting your site together as you want it.
Weebly starts free and moves up from $5/month annually.
offline website builder software
All the systems listed above are full-featured offline web building tools, which come with their advantages, disadvantages, special parameters and specifications. Each software works great for the completion of certain tasks. That’s why, it makes sense to review each of the services in details to pick the one that works best for your individual project.
Wix – The Best Website Builder Software (SaaS)
|Number of Websites:
|Try It for Free
Although Wix is an online builder, it is actually a hosted program. The only difference between offline software is that you do not have to download program files and look for a place to host them. You get an all-in-one solution with files already hosted and all changes saved in real time.
The platform has proved to be equally good for different purposes. It lets beginners easily come up with a solid web store, a professional looking portfolio or a capturing business website within a couple of hours. The software boasts its advanced online editor to customize the site pages with just one click.
The main Wix advantages are as follows:
- Ease of Use – Wix boasts probably the easiest-to-understand WYSIWYG editor. You can start building a website once you have signed in. The intuitive interface does not take long to figure out how everything works here;
- Great Collection of Templates – the software boasts an amazing selection of mobile-ready templates for any type of website. Wix developers regularly come up with new themes to meet users’ expectations. All templates are professionally designed and boast an excellent online appearance;
- Wix App Market – looking for a widget or app to make your website more user-friendly? Wix boasts its own App Market with a huge collection of FREE applications and widgets to choose from. Create a stunning blog, integrate analytics into your digital store, etc.;
- ADI Tool – Wix follows the latest website building trends and offers its unique ADI tool letting you build a website at no time at all. The AI-based system will consider your preferences and likes. Then it will automatically build a website you need without any manual involvement;
- Wix Mobile Editor – you can now check how your website will look like on a mobile device before publishing it. The tool lets you edit various blocks and sections without affecting the web version of the original website.
Moreover, Wix comes as an all-in-one platform. It means that you do not have to think of where to host your website or register a domain name. The system is advanced enough to let you cope with different projects despite their complexity. You will hardly ever need the assistance of third-party developers or programmers. The website builder offers an affordable pricing policy – there is a free subscription and two types of paid plans – standard and Business/eCommerce. Each type, in its turn, falls into more detailed subscriptions. Their cost starts from $13/mo.
WordPress – Free Downloadable CMS for Any Website
|Number of Websites:
|Paid themes and hosting
|Try It for Free
WordPress – is a renowned Content Management System, which is free to download and install. The platform, which was initially intended for blog development, is now used to launch and manage all types of projects for personal and business use.
It’s quite hard to call the CMS an easy-to-use system as it requires a bit of coding and web design proficiency to create high end projects. The system is known for its extensive integration options, availability of built-in and third-party templates as well as advanced design customization tools.
The major WordPress benefits include:
- Free Hosting Choice. WordPress allows choosing any hosting provider that comes up to your project requirements and needs most. What’s more, many contemporary hosts come with pre-set CMS that is installed in a few clicks only. Bluehost, for example, is a trusted hosting provider, which is officially recommended by WordPress as one of the best services. Bluehost offers free domain name during the first year of use as well as 60% discount for WordPress installation.
- Offline Website Creation. When working with WordPress, a user can pick specialized tools to get a virtual server on his/her computer. This makes it possible to launch websites without any online connection, while ready-made projects can further be published on one of special hostings.
- 100% Design Customization. Whatever template you will go for, it will be quality, responsive and 100% customizable. You can select and modify the required settings to get the best result in the long run. What you can experiment with is general web design settings, colors, backgrounds, styles, fonts and images, which are both available in stock and can be added to the system’s gallery. Additionally, it is possible to upload and integrate social media files, documents, new gallery elements etc.
- Professional Blogging Platform. As far as WordPress was initially created as a blogging system, it boasts and extremely powerful blogging engine that encompasses multiple features, tools and settings. The service allows launching and managing full-featured blogs, which can also be updated any time of the day and even on the go.
WordPress is an absolutely free CMS. You can download and install it at no cost at all. Mind, however, that to get extra features, plugins, third-party templates, hosting and domain name, you’ll have to invest an extra budget. When it comes to hosting, Bluehost proves to be the best solution. This is the top hosting provider officially recommended by the CMS. The cost of its plans starts from $2.95/mo only, which is more than affordable for everyone.
Webflow – Professional Web Design Tool
|Number of Websites:
|Try It for Free
Webflow – is a cloud website builder, which is used to develop professional projects with high end performance and outstanding design. The major system specialization goes down to the development of advanced projects, which differ in thematic niches, complexity, size and other important parameters.
Because of the system’s complexity and professional web design approach, users are expected to possess coding skills right from the start. Otherwise, it will be difficult for them to get used to the control panel and master the entire feature set of the service. Webflow can give your project outstanding look and exquisite functionality.
Here are the main Webflow advantages:
- eCommerce Engine. The website builder comes with a powerful eCommerce engine that lets you set up and modify all types of online stores. These projects are distinguished by high end functionality, although, no deep coding skills are required to manage them. What you can do to give your eCommerce project outstanding look is integrating and customizing the shopping cart, creating and updating product lists, uploading items and providing their descriptions, adding prices, introducing discounts, tracking web store statistics, inventory tools sales reports etc.
- Responsive Templates. Webflow boasts a collection of responsive templates, which are customizable, modern and versatile. As of today, the template set of the platform encounters over 200 ready-made designs, which are both free and paid. The templates are sorted out by industry to ensure quick and easy access.
- Lightbox Gallery. The website builder now allows creating professional Lightbox galleries. With this purpose, you can use videos and images available in the system’s collection or those you have uploaded and stored on your own. The feature is provided on a free basis to let all Webflow users enjoy an opportunity to create immersive web browsing experience.
- Code Editing. As mentioned above, the system makes it possible to create exclusive and personalized website designs by means of code editing. Users are allowed to integrate custom HTML codes into footers or headers to give their projects high end look.
- After Effects and Lottie Integration. Another highlight of the website builder is its After Effects and Lottie integration. The system lets users control vector animations display options via the use of multiple system interactions.
Webflow is a professional website builder, the major specialization of which goes down to the development of complicated and feature-laden projects. Along with the free plan, the system offers several payment options. There are two types of subscriptions here – Site and Account plans. Each of them, in its turn, falls into smaller groups – Website and eCommerce plans as well as Individual and Team plans. These subscriptions, correspondingly, offer several more plans users may choose from based on their web design needs. The overall Webflow pricing starts from $12/mo.
Dreamweaver – Offline Web Design and Development Tool
|Number of Websites:
|Free 7-day trial
|Try It for Free
Adobe Dreamweaver – is an advanced offline web design tool, which allows creating, publishing and editing professional websites featuring high end functionality and exquisite design. The software is provided as a part of the Creative Cloud service. It lets you create and update different types of websites and offline applications with no hassle at all. However, it is still desirable to possess some coding skills and web design background to be able to work with the system.
Both web design pros and beginners can use the software to develop high end projects. However, newbies will find the system complicated as it takes some time and effort to master it to the advantage.
Have a look at the main Dreamweaver highlights now:
- Integration Options. Dreamweaver comes with advanced integration options. To be precise, it perfectly integrates with other Adobe products in terms of Creative Cloud Library and Adobe Stock Marketplace integration. Among the products you can choose for your website or offline app, it makes sense to mention InDesign CC, Photoshop CC, Premiere Pro CC, Illustrator CC, After Effects CC, Dimension CC and Animate CC. Additionally, the software allows integrating third-party services, such as Business Catalyst, Bitbucket, GitHub and many more.
- Adobe Stock Marketplace Services. As a Dreamweaver user, you can get access to the rich Adobe Stock Marketplace with lots of services to be chosen for your project. This is where you can browse an extensive collection of illustrations and images to further download and insert them into the website or app you are working on. Additionally, you can export multiple PSD files you plan to use for your project.
- Free Templates. Dreamweaver grants access to lots of templates you can download and install from third-party services. These designs are both free and paid, so, it’s up to you to pick the design you are interested in. The software lets you integrate Joomla, WordPress and Drupal templates. Mind, however, that picking themes from external resources is not altogether safe. So, mind this aspect and check the security of each design chosen in advance.
Adobe Dreamweaver is a professional offline web design tool, which is provided by the Creative Cloud service. It requires download and installation to be used for web building purposes. There is no completely free plan, but there is a 7-day trial that lets you test the entire feature set of the system prior to opting for one of its paid subscriptions, the price range of which is quite extensive. Currently, the cost of Dreamweaver subscriptions starts from $14.99/mo.
Mobirise – Offline Website Building Program (Mac & Windows)
|Number of Websites:
|Hosting and extensions
|Try It for Free
The release of Mobirise appeared to be a revolutionary step, as it boasts some core differences if compared with its contemporaries. First of all, it is a responsive free offline software. It means that you will need to download and install it. Otherwise, you will not be able to launch the website building process. It is very simple to use.
This fact makes Mobirise a good option for newbies. The software provides an intuitive and simple editing environment in addition to some other fundamental competitive advantages.
The major Mobirise benefits include:
- Simple installation – the process is very fast and easy. Make sure your hardware meets necessary system requirements;
- 800+ Content Blocks – create a unique page structure using any of the content blocks form a huge collection;
- Good-Looking Templates – the software delivers a bunch of appealing and responsive templates out of the box. All Mobirise websites are mobile-friendly;
- Simple Drag-and-Drop Feature – Mobirise boasts an easy-to-use and intuitive WYSIWYG editor. It means that no coding skills are required;
- AMP Website Builder – Choose from an array of AMP templates to create an online business card, portfolio or blog. AMP templates are the best bet to represent and promote your business/services on mobile devices.
Users may choose a place to host their Mobirise websites. It can be your Google Cloud, local drive or even Github. The features certainly add some flexibility. Another good advantage about the software is the fact that it is free to use whether your website is going to serve commercial or non-profitable purposes.
However, Mobirise does not provide hosting, which means you will have to pay for it and maintain by yourself. In addition, you should be ready to pay for any further advance or extension for your website. On the other hand, users may opt for Github Pages as a free web hosting alternative. To get access to high end Mobirise themes and extensions, you can opt for a Premium Pack of the service. Its cost currently constitutes $129.
TemplateToaster – Offline Software for Creating Website Templates
|Number of Websites:
|$49 and $149
|Try It for Free
TemplateToaster – is the offline software that lets you create advanced, stylish and contemporary templates with no programming or coding knowledge required. The software is handy to web design experts and beginners, who intend to create professional and visually-appealing themes for Joomla, WordPress, Drupal, Magento and other CMS. No programming skills or web connection is needed to design a theme with the software.
You can choose one of two template design options offered by TemplateToaster. It’s either possible to use a ready-made responsive template to further customize it with regard to your project needs or create a brand new template from scratch.
Top TemplateToaster advantages are now listed below:
- Responsive Layouts. One of the major highlights of the system is that it comes with a powerful visual editor and responsive layouts to let you independently create visually-appealing and technically correct templates.
- Advanced Compatibility. The template builder is compatible with almost any Content Management System of your choice. This means that you can design a high quality template for any CMS you wish without any coding or third-party assistance. This can be a blog, eCommerce, small business website template or any other theme you need.
- Drag and Drop User Interface. TemplateToaster offers integrated drag-and-drop functionality, which lets you create up-to-date UI designs without any extra techniques or coding skills. Just pick the required element and choose the area you’d like to place it and drop it there. Then you can proceed to content editing, which is also easy and quick. All the edits you make are saved in the automated mode.
- Template Collection. The system comes with a rich choice of responsive themes you can choose for your own template. There are 10 free industry-specific design packs and a rich choice of paid templates to browse and pick for your project. All the designs come with the preview mode to let you make the right choice from the start. Additionally, there is an opportunity to design your own template from scratch, if there is anything you don’t like about ready-made themes. This option, however, implies coding knowledge.
TemplateToaster can be downloaded from the official website for free. To use the program, you will need to upgrade to one of the paid plans – either Standard ($49) or Professional Edition ($149). The software also offers an unlimited trial version that lets you test the program before purchasing one of the paid plans.
Adobe Muse СС – Offline Website Builder for Web Designers
|Adobe Muse CC
|Number of Websites:
|Try It for Free
Adobe Muse – is a software developed for professional web designers, which aims at putting ease on the process of collaboration between web experts and programmers. The program is to let designers express their creativity at full swing without hiring third-party coders.
The main mission of the software is to let users come up with static websites that are mainly focused around design. The platform delivers a bunch of handy features to build sites that stand out from competitors due to capturing appearance and stunning look.
Here are some of the main Adobe Muse hits:
- A Familiar Dashboard – if you are a professional designer, you have used some other Adobe products at least once. Whether you are used to working with Photoshop, InDesign or Illustrator, you will hardly find the Adobe Muse interface difficult. The dashboard is actually the same as in all other Adobe products, which is certainly a good news;
- Extended List of Instruments – the web design toolkit looks very impressive, here you will have everything you need from brushes and layers to self-hosted and Typekit fonts, text sizes and more instruments to create a stunning design;
- Extensions and Integration – although Adobe Muse is an offline builder, it still reserves some space for third-party integration. You can implement various widgets and edit them to meet your requirements;
- Flexibility – the program offers some advanced integration capabilities to come up with your digital store, professional blog or any other type of website;
- A Selection of Themes – Adobe Muse cooperates with thousands of developers who provide endless themes for different website types. Some of them are free while some are paid. Websites built with the help of this software are mobile responsive;
- Code Editing Option – if you are still on for coding, the program lets you Edit its CSS code to customize the website.
Adobe Muse is a good software for web designers looking for a set of professional tools. It comes with a wide array of designing features and toolkits. On the other hand, it is hardly a good choice for newbies. The program will be too complicated for beginners. What you should also mind is that the system is not supported by Adobe any longer. Thus, it can be used only by those web designers, who have purchased it before.
Let us know your thoughts in the comment section below.